Monday, February 7, 2011

Heat Transfer

In this weeks’ application inquiry, I chose four different materials to test their ability to insulate heat.  Four identical mugs were filled with the same amount of the same temperature water.  On each cup a different material was placed on the top and secured with a rubber band.  After thirty minutes the temperature of the water in each cup was recorded (see appendix for table).  The insulators I chose were faux fur, plastic bag, paper towel, and tin foil.
            I chose the fur because I thought it would be a good insulator and I chose the paper towel because I thought it would be a poor insulator (?).  {good insulator and poor conductor mean the same thing} The others I chose because I was just curious.  I also included the students in my class, I presented them with ten different materials to use as insulators and they chose four of them.  The faux fur was the best insulator; the temperature did not decrease by that many degrees.  {Since you measured the initial temperature, you could use that information here.} The next best was the plastic bag.  I was surprised that this, I did not expect the plastic bag to be a good insulator because it is so thin.  Although, it is hard for air to escape from a plastic bag so maybe that had an effect on it.  The paper towel was the third best insulator.  I did not think that the paper towel would do a good job because it was a cheap paper towel that was thin and single ply.  The worst insulator that I chose was tin foil.  This was surprising because one of the reasons people use tin foil is to cover hot dishes to keep them warm.  I am sure that using faux fur to cover lasagna would be very messy, but it would keep the lasagna the warmest.  I think a good experiment would be to find the best type of material (that would be appropriate) to cover food to keep it warm.


Other materials I might choose - saran wrap, paper, fleece, Under Armor cold gear, stocking socks - I think the best would be the Under Armor

Other materials I would want to test - any hot food products - to see which material would keep the food the warmest

How would I set this up for my classroom? I think I would set this experiment up in the same way - I think that reading the story of Goldie Locks and the Three Bears was a good introduction.  I think my students would like being able to set up their own experiment.

Learning objectives for my students - what materials are the best insulators, different types of heat transfer (conduction, convection, and radiation) -

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea of setting this lesson up by reading the story of Goldie Locks and the Three Bears. This not only provides a great example of heat transfer, but it also allows the student's to be read to which is fantastic. I also agree with you that it would be interesting to test the same products on hot food. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of starting of this lesson with the story of Goldie Locks and the Three Bears. Students of all ages love to hear stories even those that are familiar to them. I also found your list of other materials to be quiet interesting. After hearing the story and being presented with the different variety of materials your students will truly be eager and ready to engage in this experiment.

    ReplyDelete